Skip to main content

With the 32nd pick of the NFL Draft, the Steelers select ...

Who cares?

No, not about the Steelers. I share the same passion of thousands, if not millions, of Steelers fans cheering for their team.

I mean who cares about the NFL Draft?

As a recovering draft-watcher, I have no plans to park myself in front of my television for 5 hours and listen to Mel Kiper Jr.'s hair tell me why so-and-so is a great pick at No. 21 when 20 other teams passed on the guy.

I've seen the error of my ways and won't spend my day doing that -- especially when the weather forecast is for a sunny, 70s day.

There's better things to do. Like sit in front of my television and watch baseball for 5 hours (I jest).

The NFL Draft is the biggest hoax on TV these days. It's Geraldo Rivera finding nothing in Al Capone's vault. You see chatter, endless chatter. The live action includes players walking up to a podium, putting on a team hat and smiling.

Talk about excitement. I think I'd rather watch soccer on TV.

Let me get back to the actual draft.

Picking at the end is a mixed blessing for the Steelers.

It means you usually won the Super Bowl. What fan, player or owner wouldn't want that?

But it also means a long wait until the big selection is unveiled. At 10 minutes between picks, there's a long wait between No. 1 and No. 32.

If you look at most mock drafts, Oregon center Max Unger is the odds-on favorite to be that guy.

I, for one, want them to take the proverbial "best player available" with that pick. If it's Unger, so be it. If not, I'm happy, with whoever it is.

The last thing I want is the Steelers to reach for a player who doesn't deserve to be taken with a No. 1 pick.

As for my mock draft, I'm not doing one. It's an exercise in futility. It takes one loose cannon or one trade to throw off a draft, and there are plenty of loose cannon's in the NFL.

No, someone else can take the time to look like an expert. Chances are they'll be wrong.

Comments

  1. How right you are, Rick. ESPN's non-stop blathering has turned me off completely. I will not waste one second listening to Mel Crapper telling us about some kid from Southern Wabash who runs a 4.40.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baseball and poker similar in how action unfolds

The game of poker has received a bad rap for years for being too boring. Due to longperiods of inactivity in a game, players tend to tune out of the game. The funny thing
is, Baseball is also one that many of these same people happen to like even though
sometimes it also has has similar long periods of inactivity, even if those long periods are
not shown on TV.

In big poker tournaments, such as the highlights we see in the World Series of Poker, has
skewed the reality of how long of a process that the game can really be. Sometimes even
in baseball, during the World Series there are long period of innings where there isn’t
much going on, like in poker except one person raising and others folding.

That can change quickly and sometimes just as dramatically as a big solo shot homer. A
player can make a raise, followed by a three-bet from another player. The original raiser
then moves all-in and gets called. Now, all the people watching the event are on their
feet cheering and screaming fo…

Scary news from Antwaan Randle El

Embed from Getty Images

Every Steelers fan knows Antwaan Randle El.

His pass in Super Bowl XL helped clinch the Steelers' fifth Lombardi.

Now people might know Randle El for another reason: He's having trouble remembering things and having trouble walking down stairs.

The Post-Gazette's story was a grabber, with Randle El saying he wouldn't play football if he could do it over again.

Here's a quote:

The kids are getting bigger and faster, so the concussions, the severe spinal cord injuries, are only going to get worse. It’s a tough pill to swallow because I love the game of football. But I tell parents, you can have the right helmet, the perfect pads on, and still end up with a paraplegic kid. There’s no correcting it. There’s no helmet that’s going to correct it. There’s no teaching that’s going to correct it. It just comes down to it’s a physically violent game. Football players are in a car wreck every week.
He played football for nine seasons. Now he worries ab…