Skip to main content

Steelers' draft leaves an empty feeling

It's been a week, and all the NFL draft hype finally has settled down.

Are you happy with the Steelers' picks?

Can't say I am.

I know the Steelers came across as happy with their selection of Bud Dupree with the 22nd pick overall.

Let be back up a step.

I get why they need linebackers. If the linebacker can pressure the quarterback, the cornerbacks don't have to cover the receiver for that long.

The linebacker is a big part of their defense.

So they've invested highly in them.

And Dupree is a linebacker. If he pans out, they don't need a world-class CB to shut down an opponent.

Now that that's out of the way, I still don't like the pick.

One report had the Steelers happy because Dupree fell to him.

Well, players fall for a reason. Like Jarvis Jones.

I didn't like the pick then. I still don't like it.

Then they took short corner Senquez Golson in the second round. He's not quite 5-9, but he's on the short side. If he's going up against a 6-1 or 6-2 wideout, there's a disadvantage. Upside? I'm thinking Willie Williams.

And the third-round pick of Sammie Coates reminds me more of Limas Sweed than anything else.

The good thing is, the picks have four months to prove me wrong before the season starts.

I hope at least one pans out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid?

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid? That was the first question that popped into my mind when I heard he wanted a new deal from the Steelers. I remember the details: Mike Wallace wanted more money than the Steelers wanted to offer, so the Steelers turned around and signed Brown to a $43 million deal over six years. That was 2012. Today, we learned that Brown will skip offseason workouts in the hope of getting a new deal. Honor your contract. It's that simple. Brown signed a deal that caused some people to scratch their heads at the time. It looked like a great deal for Brown. And after two seasons, it looked like the Steelers made a terrific call with the long-term deal. Brown had almost 1,700 yards receiving last year to go with 13 TD catches. That's a heck of a season. However, in exchange for long-term security, Brown looks like a bargain today. That's how it works. Or, at least that's how it's supposed to work. Now Brown wanted paid e...

Wild-card round in NFL playoffs should be wild

The NFL playoffs finally are here, and, if you're like me, you can't get enough of the stuff. It looks like we should be headed for some high-scoring games, defensive struggles and some close calls this weekend. Here's how I see the weekend unfolding: Bengals at Texans: The Bengals are lucky to be in the postseason, while the Texans are lucky to have a quarterback after going through about 16 during the regular season. Arian Foster should get plenty of carries for the Texans, along with Ben Tate. The big question is whether quarterback T.J. Yates will be able to find Andre Johnson. If he can, it would go a long way for the Texans to win. However, something tells me rookie QB Andy Dalton finds some way to win against a tough Texans defense. Maybe he hooks up with A.J. Green on a big play. Maybe the Bengals defense pressures Yates into a big mistake. Bengals 20, Texans 17. Lions at Saints: This game should be fun to watch. The Saints, powered by record-set...