Skip to main content

Pitt's Adams leaves, world still turns

I've heard some moaning and groaning about the immediate future of the Pitt basketball program.

Center Steven Adams announced Monday that he was leaving for the NBA draft.

Good for him, I thought. Go pursue your dreams.

Then, I immediately thought of Chris Taft.

He was another touted Pitt basketball player who had dreams of the NBA.

It didn't work out for him.

I'm not sure how well it will work out for Adams.

Adams is a project, so some team likely will take a chance on him, hoping his raw skills will develop.

I wasn't worried about the future of the basketball program.

Yes, they're short-handed right now going into their inaugural season in the ACC.

But there's still time. Jamie Dixon can recruit, although it is late in the game.

I just didn't see Adams as someone who oozed talent, someone ready to play in the NBA.

If he did, maybe the Pitt basketball team would still be playing in the NCAA tournament.

I wish him the best. I don't begrudge him for wanting to cash in while he has a chance.

I just don't see things as bleak without him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid?

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid? That was the first question that popped into my mind when I heard he wanted a new deal from the Steelers. I remember the details: Mike Wallace wanted more money than the Steelers wanted to offer, so the Steelers turned around and signed Brown to a $43 million deal over six years. That was 2012. Today, we learned that Brown will skip offseason workouts in the hope of getting a new deal. Honor your contract. It's that simple. Brown signed a deal that caused some people to scratch their heads at the time. It looked like a great deal for Brown. And after two seasons, it looked like the Steelers made a terrific call with the long-term deal. Brown had almost 1,700 yards receiving last year to go with 13 TD catches. That's a heck of a season. However, in exchange for long-term security, Brown looks like a bargain today. That's how it works. Or, at least that's how it's supposed to work. Now Brown wanted paid e...

Wild-card round in NFL playoffs should be wild

The NFL playoffs finally are here, and, if you're like me, you can't get enough of the stuff. It looks like we should be headed for some high-scoring games, defensive struggles and some close calls this weekend. Here's how I see the weekend unfolding: Bengals at Texans: The Bengals are lucky to be in the postseason, while the Texans are lucky to have a quarterback after going through about 16 during the regular season. Arian Foster should get plenty of carries for the Texans, along with Ben Tate. The big question is whether quarterback T.J. Yates will be able to find Andre Johnson. If he can, it would go a long way for the Texans to win. However, something tells me rookie QB Andy Dalton finds some way to win against a tough Texans defense. Maybe he hooks up with A.J. Green on a big play. Maybe the Bengals defense pressures Yates into a big mistake. Bengals 20, Texans 17. Lions at Saints: This game should be fun to watch. The Saints, powered by record-set...