Skip to main content

Picking the divisions in the NFL

Before the season begins, here's my quick take on the league:

AFC NORTH
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Cleveland
Cincinnati

AFC EAST
New England
New York
Miami
Buffalo

AFC SOUTH
Houston
Indianapolis
Tennessee
Jacksonville

AFC WEST
San Diego
Kansas City
Oakland
Denver

NFC NORTH
Green Bay
Detroit
Chicago
Minnesota

NFC EAST
Philly
Dallas
Washington
New York

NFC SOUTH
Atlanta
New Orleans
Tampa
Carolina

NFC WEST
St. Louis
San Francisco
Seattle
Arizona
(QUICK EDIT: Seattle should be in last place here instead of Arizona.)

Playoffs: AFC Wild Card: Baltimore over Houston, Pittsburgh over New York.
AFC Division: San Diego over Baltimore, New England over Pittsburgh
AFC Championship: San Diego over New England

NFC Wild Card: New Orleans over St. Louis, Atlanta over Tampa
NFC Division: Philly over New Orleans, Green Bay over Atlanta
NFC Championship: Green Bay over Philly

Super Bowl: Green Bay over San Diego

Quick thoughts: Yeah, I know, I have the Patriots beating the Steelers. I just don't like how those teams match up. In fact, if the Steelers could avoid the Pats and Chargers, I think they can get back to the Super Bowl. However, teams with accurate QBs and strong receivers are trouble.

I'm sure everyone is picking the Packers, so for once I'll be a follower. Aaron Rodgers might be the best QB in the league, and they're loaded at WR. They're defense is pretty darn good too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pirates opener: A lot to like

I'm a sucker for opening day. I've been going to Three Rivers/PNC Park many years now to kick off the start to Pirates' season in good times and bad. I enjoy the crowds, the ceremonies and all of trimmings that come with the opener. Monday at PNC Park was no different. Except if you're looking at the Pirates' record at PNC. Zach Duke looked like an all-star, the offense looked like the Lumber Company of old and the crowd had one heck of a time celebrating the Bucs' 7-0 win. It was just the Pirates third win at a PNC Park opener. The game was one to remember. Adam LaRoche (!) and Ryan Doumit hit home runs, Freddy Sanchez looked like a former batting champion and the fans actually had "the wave" going around the park. But it was Duke's day. It was his third career shutout and the first shutout in a home opener since 1978. Yeah, it was a good day. It all came together for the Pirates. Maybe there's more down the road this year.

Wild-card round in NFL playoffs should be wild

The NFL playoffs finally are here, and, if you're like me, you can't get enough of the stuff. It looks like we should be headed for some high-scoring games, defensive struggles and some close calls this weekend. Here's how I see the weekend unfolding: Bengals at Texans: The Bengals are lucky to be in the postseason, while the Texans are lucky to have a quarterback after going through about 16 during the regular season. Arian Foster should get plenty of carries for the Texans, along with Ben Tate. The big question is whether quarterback T.J. Yates will be able to find Andre Johnson. If he can, it would go a long way for the Texans to win. However, something tells me rookie QB Andy Dalton finds some way to win against a tough Texans defense. Maybe he hooks up with A.J. Green on a big play. Maybe the Bengals defense pressures Yates into a big mistake. Bengals 20, Texans 17. Lions at Saints: This game should be fun to watch. The Saints, powered by record-set...