Skip to main content

Time for someone to suspend Roethlisberger

I hate prepared statements.

Any time I see an athlete read from a prepared statement, I doubt their sincerity.

Anyone can read from a piece of paper. Anyone can rehearse and deliver a speech written by someone else.

I can't help but think that was the case Monday when Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger delivered his short words.

Can't an athlete speak from the heart these days?

I know, I know, there are those worried that an athlete could misspeak, so prepared remarks can keep him on topic.

I don't buy it.

And I hope the league or the Steelers aren't buying it either.

One or both need to suspend Roethlisberger.

I'm tired of his antics. I'm sure the Steelers are too. Probably throw in NFL commish Roger Goodell.

Maybe the return of sensibility to the Steelers organization won't end with Sunday's trade of Santonio Holmes.

Comments

  1. Ben Roethlisberger is a great player, but he really needs to be more careful with his off-field behavior. This latest incident has caused a great deal of embarrassment to the Steelers organization and the NFL, and he really needs to work hard to regain the respect of fans. Even though he wasn’t charged with anything, I think commissioner Goodell needs to suspend him for a game or two in order to ensure that he won’t have a serious lapse of judgment ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, although a one-game or two-game suspension might not be enough.

    And a suspension for a preseason game would be a slap on the wrist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid?

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid? That was the first question that popped into my mind when I heard he wanted a new deal from the Steelers. I remember the details: Mike Wallace wanted more money than the Steelers wanted to offer, so the Steelers turned around and signed Brown to a $43 million deal over six years. That was 2012. Today, we learned that Brown will skip offseason workouts in the hope of getting a new deal. Honor your contract. It's that simple. Brown signed a deal that caused some people to scratch their heads at the time. It looked like a great deal for Brown. And after two seasons, it looked like the Steelers made a terrific call with the long-term deal. Brown had almost 1,700 yards receiving last year to go with 13 TD catches. That's a heck of a season. However, in exchange for long-term security, Brown looks like a bargain today. That's how it works. Or, at least that's how it's supposed to work. Now Brown wanted paid e...

Wild-card round in NFL playoffs should be wild

The NFL playoffs finally are here, and, if you're like me, you can't get enough of the stuff. It looks like we should be headed for some high-scoring games, defensive struggles and some close calls this weekend. Here's how I see the weekend unfolding: Bengals at Texans: The Bengals are lucky to be in the postseason, while the Texans are lucky to have a quarterback after going through about 16 during the regular season. Arian Foster should get plenty of carries for the Texans, along with Ben Tate. The big question is whether quarterback T.J. Yates will be able to find Andre Johnson. If he can, it would go a long way for the Texans to win. However, something tells me rookie QB Andy Dalton finds some way to win against a tough Texans defense. Maybe he hooks up with A.J. Green on a big play. Maybe the Bengals defense pressures Yates into a big mistake. Bengals 20, Texans 17. Lions at Saints: This game should be fun to watch. The Saints, powered by record-set...