Skip to main content

Hold on to your hats. The top rides at Cedar Point


I got hooked on Cedar Point back in junior high when the Gemini was the top ride and it took nearly two hours to wait in line for the Corkscrew.

I went back several years later when the Gemini became an afterthought and riding the Magnum, Mean Streak and Raptor were on the to-do list for each visit.

A few more years passed by and I returned to the Point. This time, two kids accompanied me through the park.

It's been a two years since my oldest has been tall enough to go on all of the rides, and he's been on all of the major ones there. In fact, he's been on some that I won't even bother.

My wife and I swear something happens when you reach a certain age. I'm not sure what the magic number is, and maybe it's different for each individual, but when you hit it, your equilibrium changes.

He's got nothing to worry about for a while. He loves his coasters. And rides that spin.

Since Cedar Point opens May 16, I asked him for his top rides there.

He has them ranked from 1-10, and I asked him to give each ride a score. Consider it his pythagorean theorem for pure excitement.

Here they are, his favorite rides, from No. 10:


10. Corkscrew: Score: 90 of 100.

9. Skyhawk: 80 of 100. Note: This one made my stomach uneasy after consecutive rides. And I mean consecutive as in back-to-back, no waiting.

8. Disaster Transport: 80 of 100.

7. Wicked Twister: 80 of 100.

6. Magnum: 95 of 100.

5. Maxair: 95 of 100. Note: I have not been on this ride, nor do I think I'll go on this ride.

4. Raptor: 100 of 100.

3. Mantis: 100 of 100.

2. Top Thrill Dragster: 100 of 100.

1. Maverick: 100 of 100.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid?

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid? That was the first question that popped into my mind when I heard he wanted a new deal from the Steelers. I remember the details: Mike Wallace wanted more money than the Steelers wanted to offer, so the Steelers turned around and signed Brown to a $43 million deal over six years. That was 2012. Today, we learned that Brown will skip offseason workouts in the hope of getting a new deal. Honor your contract. It's that simple. Brown signed a deal that caused some people to scratch their heads at the time. It looked like a great deal for Brown. And after two seasons, it looked like the Steelers made a terrific call with the long-term deal. Brown had almost 1,700 yards receiving last year to go with 13 TD catches. That's a heck of a season. However, in exchange for long-term security, Brown looks like a bargain today. That's how it works. Or, at least that's how it's supposed to work. Now Brown wanted paid e...

Wild-card round in NFL playoffs should be wild

The NFL playoffs finally are here, and, if you're like me, you can't get enough of the stuff. It looks like we should be headed for some high-scoring games, defensive struggles and some close calls this weekend. Here's how I see the weekend unfolding: Bengals at Texans: The Bengals are lucky to be in the postseason, while the Texans are lucky to have a quarterback after going through about 16 during the regular season. Arian Foster should get plenty of carries for the Texans, along with Ben Tate. The big question is whether quarterback T.J. Yates will be able to find Andre Johnson. If he can, it would go a long way for the Texans to win. However, something tells me rookie QB Andy Dalton finds some way to win against a tough Texans defense. Maybe he hooks up with A.J. Green on a big play. Maybe the Bengals defense pressures Yates into a big mistake. Bengals 20, Texans 17. Lions at Saints: This game should be fun to watch. The Saints, powered by record-set...