Skip to main content

With the 32nd pick of the NFL Draft, the Steelers select ...

Who cares?

No, not about the Steelers. I share the same passion of thousands, if not millions, of Steelers fans cheering for their team.

I mean who cares about the NFL Draft?

As a recovering draft-watcher, I have no plans to park myself in front of my television for 5 hours and listen to Mel Kiper Jr.'s hair tell me why so-and-so is a great pick at No. 21 when 20 other teams passed on the guy.

I've seen the error of my ways and won't spend my day doing that -- especially when the weather forecast is for a sunny, 70s day.

There's better things to do. Like sit in front of my television and watch baseball for 5 hours (I jest).

The NFL Draft is the biggest hoax on TV these days. It's Geraldo Rivera finding nothing in Al Capone's vault. You see chatter, endless chatter. The live action includes players walking up to a podium, putting on a team hat and smiling.

Talk about excitement. I think I'd rather watch soccer on TV.

Let me get back to the actual draft.

Picking at the end is a mixed blessing for the Steelers.

It means you usually won the Super Bowl. What fan, player or owner wouldn't want that?

But it also means a long wait until the big selection is unveiled. At 10 minutes between picks, there's a long wait between No. 1 and No. 32.

If you look at most mock drafts, Oregon center Max Unger is the odds-on favorite to be that guy.

I, for one, want them to take the proverbial "best player available" with that pick. If it's Unger, so be it. If not, I'm happy, with whoever it is.

The last thing I want is the Steelers to reach for a player who doesn't deserve to be taken with a No. 1 pick.

As for my mock draft, I'm not doing one. It's an exercise in futility. It takes one loose cannon or one trade to throw off a draft, and there are plenty of loose cannon's in the NFL.

No, someone else can take the time to look like an expert. Chances are they'll be wrong.

Comments

  1. How right you are, Rick. ESPN's non-stop blathering has turned me off completely. I will not waste one second listening to Mel Crapper telling us about some kid from Southern Wabash who runs a 4.40.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pirates opener: A lot to like

I'm a sucker for opening day. I've been going to Three Rivers/PNC Park many years now to kick off the start to Pirates' season in good times and bad. I enjoy the crowds, the ceremonies and all of trimmings that come with the opener. Monday at PNC Park was no different. Except if you're looking at the Pirates' record at PNC. Zach Duke looked like an all-star, the offense looked like the Lumber Company of old and the crowd had one heck of a time celebrating the Bucs' 7-0 win. It was just the Pirates third win at a PNC Park opener. The game was one to remember. Adam LaRoche (!) and Ryan Doumit hit home runs, Freddy Sanchez looked like a former batting champion and the fans actually had "the wave" going around the park. But it was Duke's day. It was his third career shutout and the first shutout in a home opener since 1978. Yeah, it was a good day. It all came together for the Pirates. Maybe there's more down the road this year.

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid?

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid? That was the first question that popped into my mind when I heard he wanted a new deal from the Steelers. I remember the details: Mike Wallace wanted more money than the Steelers wanted to offer, so the Steelers turned around and signed Brown to a $43 million deal over six years. That was 2012. Today, we learned that Brown will skip offseason workouts in the hope of getting a new deal. Honor your contract. It's that simple. Brown signed a deal that caused some people to scratch their heads at the time. It looked like a great deal for Brown. And after two seasons, it looked like the Steelers made a terrific call with the long-term deal. Brown had almost 1,700 yards receiving last year to go with 13 TD catches. That's a heck of a season. However, in exchange for long-term security, Brown looks like a bargain today. That's how it works. Or, at least that's how it's supposed to work. Now Brown wanted paid e...