Skip to main content

What's the Racket? Here's how to fill out your bracket

I've got the Madness.
Or maybe it's the Mania.
Perhaps I should refer to it as Mayhem.
Whatever you want to call it, I'm ready for the NCAA tournament to begin – as in right now, let's get it on.
And, if you're filling out a bracket (who doesn't), I've got some help for you.
I call it Bracket Racket.
For the past five years, I've used this scientific formula to correctly pick three winners and just missed on Ohio State a couple years ago.
I've tweaked it again this year, despite few error reports from last March, so chances are it'll be another banner year.
Here's what you need to do:
We'll, start off with an easy one: Eliminate all No. 16 seeds. Cross them off, do not advance any of them. Nada. Zilch. It's not gonna happen this year.
I don't like alphabet soup. Go ahead and eliminate BYU, VCU, LSU, USC and UCLA, although I can't blame you for wanting to see Bruins or Trojans cheerleaders for a couple weeks.
State-ment time. Teams with State in its name won't win, either. That means Ohio State, Cleveland State (c'mon a Cleveland team doing well?), North Dakota State, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Utah State, Oklahoma State, Florida State, Portland State, Arizona State and Morgan State don't have a chance. And that doesn't even count Alabama State and Morehead State in Tuesday's game.
Catch-22. You need more than 22 victories to cut down the nets in Detroit. Arizona (how'd they get in, anyway?), Boston College, Cornell, Cal, Maryland, Cal. State Northridge, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Texas, Minnesota, Temple and Michigan all can put away their scissors.
That leaves us with 32 teams. Any double-digit seeds remaining are outta here. Dayton, Robert Morris, Northern Iowa, American (yeah, it's un-American to eliminate them, but they have no shot), Binghamton, Akron and Stephen F. Austin are gone.
Win starts with 'W'. But it doesn't work out for these schools starting with that letter – West Virginia, Wake Forest, Washington and Western Kentucky.
X-out Xavier.
'L' equals loss for Louisville.
I now introduce you to the Awesome Eighteen, the teams with a chance to win: Siena, Utah, Kansas, UConn, Texas A&M, Purdue, Marquette, Missouri, Memphis, Pitt, Villanova, Duke, North Carolina, Illinois, Gonzaga, Syracuse, Clemson and Oklahoma.
Time to get real. There's no way Siena, Utah, Texas A&M, Purdue, Illinois, Clemson or Gonzaga will win.
Off the mark. Marquette doesn't have what it takes.
Not juiced about the Orange. Eliminate Syracuse.
Over for 'Nova.
No Mo for Missouri.
Not down with Duke.
So, after careful consideration, we have the Super Six: Pitt, Kansas, UConn, Memphis, North Carolina and Oklahoma.
Pitt's not it. Sorry. It won't happen for the Panthers (I'll elaborate in a later post).
From the final five (Battlestar Galactica reference), Memphis emerges as the winner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid?

Didn't Antonio Brown just get paid? That was the first question that popped into my mind when I heard he wanted a new deal from the Steelers. I remember the details: Mike Wallace wanted more money than the Steelers wanted to offer, so the Steelers turned around and signed Brown to a $43 million deal over six years. That was 2012. Today, we learned that Brown will skip offseason workouts in the hope of getting a new deal. Honor your contract. It's that simple. Brown signed a deal that caused some people to scratch their heads at the time. It looked like a great deal for Brown. And after two seasons, it looked like the Steelers made a terrific call with the long-term deal. Brown had almost 1,700 yards receiving last year to go with 13 TD catches. That's a heck of a season. However, in exchange for long-term security, Brown looks like a bargain today. That's how it works. Or, at least that's how it's supposed to work. Now Brown wanted paid e...

Wild-card round in NFL playoffs should be wild

The NFL playoffs finally are here, and, if you're like me, you can't get enough of the stuff. It looks like we should be headed for some high-scoring games, defensive struggles and some close calls this weekend. Here's how I see the weekend unfolding: Bengals at Texans: The Bengals are lucky to be in the postseason, while the Texans are lucky to have a quarterback after going through about 16 during the regular season. Arian Foster should get plenty of carries for the Texans, along with Ben Tate. The big question is whether quarterback T.J. Yates will be able to find Andre Johnson. If he can, it would go a long way for the Texans to win. However, something tells me rookie QB Andy Dalton finds some way to win against a tough Texans defense. Maybe he hooks up with A.J. Green on a big play. Maybe the Bengals defense pressures Yates into a big mistake. Bengals 20, Texans 17. Lions at Saints: This game should be fun to watch. The Saints, powered by record-set...